Ian Romanick wrote:

Tomas Carnecky wrote:

Why are the DRM() macros used in the linux kernel drivers?
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I can't find
anything about it.
Any explanations or pointers to webpages (archives) where it's
explained are welcome.

Each DRM driver contains a slightly customized copy of some functions. The customzations are based on driver-specific #defines. The DRM macro is used to convert the generic name (i.e., addmap) to a device-specific name (i.e., radeon_addmap). This also makes it so that you can load multiple DRM modules into your kernel at once. If every DRM module had a function called addmap, you could only have one at a time.

Thanks... but I personally prefer the fbdev approach. The fbdev core calls the appropriate functions (stored in a structure which is filled
by the device drivers).

Another question.. what interface do the drivers present to the
userspace. Is it only the ioctl interface defined in drm.h or do the
device specific drivers have their own ioctl additions?

-- wereHamster a.k.a. Tom Carnecky Emmen, Switzerland

(GC 3.1) GIT d+ s+: a--- C++ UL++ P L++ E- W++ N++ !o !K  w ?O ?M
          ?V PS PE ?Y PGP t ?5 X R- tv b+ ?DI D+ G++ e-- h! !r !y+