On 05-Jun-2004, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 12:21 +0300, Ville Syrj??l?? wrote:
> > This part of the kernel should be as dumb as possible. I think the best
> > interface would be simply one accepting almost complete DMA buffers. The
> > only thing missing from these buffers would be real memory addresses.
>
> I'm not sure about that; pseudo-command buffers that the DRM parses and
> generates the actual DMA buffers from on the fly might be better for
> security and/or performance reasons.

Yeah, security is always an issue. Isnt there a way to abstract direct
access to the hardware out, so there isnt any way to fubar the system?

> > The client should just use a surface id (handed out by the memory allocator)
> > instead of a real address. The kernel would then check if the client is
> > allowed to use those surfaces and replace the ids with real addresses. The
> > kernel should also check the buffers for other dangerous stuff.
>
> Seconded.
>
> I wonder if we can reasonably get there in a backwards compatible way...

Do we really have to? I mean, I wouldnt mind telling $MODERN_KERNEL
users to upgrade their X, it would be for their own good anyhow.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || [EMAIL PROTECTED]