On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:08:11 -0400
Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2004 19:34:19 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]

> > There are just two minor issues.  I've managed to get it to lockup
> > twice (X server frozen with 100% cpu, the system can be rebooted
> > remotely), but haven't been able to reproduce the problem since.
> >
> > The other issue is more annoying: there is visual noise whenever there
> > is significant OpenGL activity in a full-screen window (rendered at
> > 640x400, scaled to 1024x768); this happens both with amoeba and
> > MPlayer.  There is no such problem with 640x400 windows.
>
> hmmm...what exactly does it look like?  Felix may know more about that.

I havn't seen such noise. But I have a different integrated chipset:
ProSavageDDR. TwisterK has a lower memory bandwidth. It could be the 3D
engine and the hardware scaler fighting for memory bandwidth. That's
pure speculation though.

> > Oh, a few questions if any of you have got time.  Without any
> > customisation, the server reports that it found an AGP 4x chipset, but
> > runs in AGP 1x.  Setting the server to AGP 4x in the XF86Config
> > appears to work.  Could anyone explain what's going on?  (Oh, and what
> > is it supposed to speed up?  Texture upload?)
>
> The server defaults to 1x like (all?) other 3d drivers as some older
> chipsets had problems with higher agp speeds.  Theoretically it should
> speed up AGP transfers (just textures at the moment), but in the real
> world rarely seems to affect performance.

AFAIK it doesn't make any difference on integrated graphics chips. They
access both AGP memory and (shared) system memory with the full
bandwidth.

[snip]

| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |