On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 02:56 -0400, Andrew Miklas wrote:

> I'm seeing a lockup on RV250 (M9) that I thought might be related to the other
> r200 problems that have been cropping up recently.  These occurred using
> Debian's XFree86 server (4.3.0.dfsg.1-6) and kernel 2.6.5 and 2.6.7.

What version of the r200 3D driver? If you're using the one from the
xlibmesa-dri package, please try a CVS snapshot, the current version of
xlibmesa-gl1-dri-trunk at the very least.

> The chip appears to hang with the following RBBM_STATUS: 0x80316100.
> The CP_RB_[R|W]PTR registers also freeze.
>

> The backtrace from X is as follows:
>

> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x4019da44 in ioctl () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
> #1  0x084b6c7c in drmDMA (fd=5, request=0xbffff610) at xf86drm.c:796
> #2  0x082fe23b in RADEONCPGetBuffer (pScrn=0x8b5c518) at radeon_accel.c:490

[...]

> It seems that this ioctl causes the kernel to simply execute the following
> repeatedly:
> - - radeon_cp_buffers
>   - radeon_cp_get_buffers
>     - radeon_freelist_get
>
> I guess the chip locks up somewhere prior to this, and the driver only notices
> it when it runs out available buffers or something.

Exactly, these are all common symptoms of a chip lockup.

> Is there any way to determine exactly which operation locks the chip?
> I can probably extract the contents of the ring buffer after the lock up
> if it will help.

It might, as might enabling debugging output in the DRM and/or the 3D
driver. Tracking down lockups tends to be very tedious and hard though,
so let's just hope you aren't using a current driver. :\

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer