On Sunday 22 August 2004 18:37, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 01:16:18AM -0500, John Lightsey wrote:
> > Matrox G400 32MB (mga)
> I'm aware of two perfomance bottlenecks in the driver.
>
> Number one is that it always uses synchronous DMA. I have asynchronous
> DMA working just fine under DirectFB but it should probably be tested
> more with XFree86 before going to cvs.
>
> Number two is the TC2_MAGIC bit. It really hurts the single texturing
> case and even dual texturing gains ~1 fps (in q3) with that bit turned
> off.
>
> Even with those two changes the Windows drivers are still quite a bit
> faster :(
>
> > Notes: Reliable, looks great.  UT suffered from lots of software
> > fallback.
>
> Any idea what fallbacks? ut2k4 demo was actually playable on my G400
> if I disabled the texenv extensions. We probably need a config option
> for that. ut2k3 demo always used projective multi texturing despite what
> settings I tweaked so I couldn't get decent performance out of it.

I'm not at all sure...  It slows down to a crawl in a few different places.

1) The section of tunnel with textures on the ground that look like paper
trash.  This lasts until you pass the grate with steam coming out of it.

2) As the billboards are approached it slows down.  (This happens twice.)

3) Heading towards the fire escape it slows down.

4) Right before it enters the tunnel on the building it slows down very
briefly.

ut2004 is almost playable with the g400 with the lowest settings.  The Nvidia
logo looks wrong and it's very slow.  There are also some points on different
maps where the framerate drops through the floor (on DM-Asbestos for
instance, when you look at the sunken area where the rocket launcher appears,
the framerate drops to single digits.  The sunken area is supposed to be
filled with water, but there is no water visible with the g400.)

I didn't include ut2003/2004 in the list of benchmarks because I didn't figure
any of the cards would handle it.  I'll try including on of them next time.

John