On 12.09.2004, at 21:24, Jon Smirl wrote:
Log message:
  Fix error path in probe() to release resources if there is an error.

It's not particularly about this very change, more about the general concept.

I see you moved the pci_request_regions() to the OS specific part. This is very good, thanks a lot. I'm not experienced with linux kernel code, so please forgive me if I got something wrong.

pci_request_regions() seems to allocate all possible IO and mem regions defined in the PCI BARs. I understand that putting this code in drm_probe presents an easy way to get the reservations, although I have some concerns:

What if the card/driver in effect doesn't use all regions? Maybe using pci_request_regions() is the way to go in linux, then please forget this inquiry. In the (few) BSD kernel PCI driver code I've seen, they all reserve exactly the range(s) they need, not all ranges covered by the BARs (though this could of course be the same).

Wouldn't it be better/cleaner/more work to have each specific driver to request exactly the regions it wants to use?

thanks
  simon

--
/"\