On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:54:50 -0400 (EDT), Vladimir Dergachev
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>                         Vladimir Dergachev
> >
> > I will look at all this as soon as i get back home :) I was doing
> > some research on this R300 stuff too but with little success.
> >
> > By the way i got a little question regarding ACPI. Does any one
> > is looking for this issue (i guess it is a drm issue) ? Maybe it
> > is a part of the on going work of drm restructuration.
>
> What ACPI issue ? If you mean that you can't suspend, this is because the
> video card loses its state so completely that it probably needs video bios
> to reboot itself.

there are a lot of acpi issues to sort out:

- suspend/resume support for the drm
- suspend/resume support for agpgart
- acpi event handling by the DDX
      - lid events
      - fn-f* key combos to change outputs and modes (the DDX needs to
re-validate outputs
        and modes when an acpi event comes in)
      - fn-f* key combos to change brighness, etc.
- acpi power states (putting the chip into various sleep states)

the problem is that the current DDX doesn't have an infrastructure to
to receive, much less handle acpi events.  there is also no method for
dynamically reconfiguring outputs or modes.  I'm not sure how much can
be done in userspace and how much needs kernel support.

Alex