As someone mentioned before, in OpenGL 2.0 generic attributes (set by calling glVertexAttrib) do not alias with conventional attributes. This conflicts with GL_NV_vertex_program and changes the policy defined in GL_ARB_vertex_program (where aliasing was optional).

The GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension (and hence, 2.0) says that GL_ARB_vertex_program is retro-modified such that vertex attribute aliasing no longer occurs. That means the glVertexAttrib*() functions must work identically to the glVertexAttrib*ARB() functions.

Unfortunately, the GLX protocol and Mesa/libGL dispatch table already have aliasing between glVertexAttrib*ARB and glVertexAttrib*NV. The later functions *must* implement attribute aliasing.

This is a big problem.

It seems to me that we have no choice but to change the GLX protocol and libGL dispatch table to undo the aliasing between the ARB and NV functions. This will, of course, introduce an interface incompatibility.

I'm going to ask someone at NVIDIA for their opinion on this. But if anyone else has any ideas how to handle this, I'd love to hear it.

-Brian