On Tuesday 14 September 2004 00:28, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Doesn't the base platform need to be designed to also treat individual
> heads as resources?
>
> fbdev only sets the mode on a single head. My cards have more that one
> head. When I tried adding mode setting to DRM so that I could handle
> my other heads there was a big uproar that fbdev owns mode setting and
> that code shouldn't be duplicated. Making fbdev support more than one
> head means that it's API has to be redesigned.

What do you mean?

Your driver has 2 heads, both of which have independent outputs and
separate framebuffers, then register your driver twice:

display0->fb0->framebuffer0-|
                            common par
display1->fb1->framebuffer1-|

Or outputs are interdependent with a common framebuffer, then register the
driver once:

                           par0
display0->fb0->framebuffer-|
                           par1

Or outputs are independent, but shares a common framebuffer, then register
driver twice, each info with the same pointer to framebuffer:

              par0
display0->fb0-|
              framebuffer
display1->fb1-|