I've been talking to the I2C people about the right way to solve this
for the code in radeon_probe_i2c_connector(). This should be solvable
in the I2C framework by writing an EDID driver that implements the
code in it's attach_adapter/detach_adapter functions.  What I2C is
missing is a way to tell it to not run the DDC module on non video
buses. Buses need to be marked with a class like video or ram.

I agree that what you have in the radeon driver works. But this is a
generic problem with DDC monitors, not something that is radeon
specific. If possible I'd like to figure out a solution to this that
will work generically so we don't have to add this same code to all of
the video drivers.  I currently don't have a working solution for the
problem using the I2C framework.

I kept the code for the non-DDC monitor detection as is and just made
an IOCTL around it so that I can trigger it from the user space app.

--
Jon Smirl