On Maw, 2004-09-21 at 16:19, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Please read, understand and comment on the license policy strawman I
> posted both to dri-devel and the xorg list.

Oh I did, don't take my response as anything but throwing up the
logical conclusion to that policy. I'm not in favour of that approach.

> Such policy can only be set by the community of course,
> and that requires discussion.

Historically X core code which is (L)GPL has been rejected. That has
always made sense as the effects are often bizarre like probably not
being able to use the vnc driver and trident driver together even though
they share an author. I don't believe X should change on that issue.

The question is one of additional programs that come with X - that is
what the Linux DRI kernel module really is. Currently almost everyone in
the  X world is using some GPL software with their X server, it just
happens to be in a different tarball/rpm/dpkg/...

> I also expect that as the releases become more modular, this situation
> also becomes more modular and less of an issue in any case.

Agreed