Hi, Ian!

Ian Romanick wrote:

Thomas Hellström wrote:

Also, the people on the unichrome site including me are totally lost when it comes to 3D, and you'll need
a quite detailed documentation to fix things up. I guess the 3D command verification will be
quite some work. The best would be to convince VIA that they would very much benefit from
having a secure DRI, and have them do it in an open source framework.

I don't think that's entirely true. I'm not too familiar with this part of the Unichrome DRI driver, but you basically want to be able to send buffers of register / value pairs into the kernel for verification, right? If so, I don't think the changes will be that difficult, though they may be time consuming.

On the user side, we just need a mechanism to fill & submit the buffers. The tricky part is finding all the places that currently access the MMIO region, though that probably won't be too difficult.

On the kernel side, we just have to verify those buffers. No detailed 3D knowledge is needed for that. A person can just look at the DRI driver to see what kinds of things it sends! :)

Can you make it to the #dri-devel chat next Monday? Perhaps we could discuss the details then.

I'll try to do that.

Upon closer inspection of the unichrome_dri.so driver source it seems like there is a PCI path that takes a command buffer and parses it, and this should be an excellent start of the command verifier.

According to Erdi, the driver currently alternates between two static AGP buffers. To port this to use the ring-buffers one would probably only need to malloc() memory for those and replace the current flush code with an IOCTL.

The problem for me is, like for most people, time.

Regards.
Thomas