Felix Kühling wrote:
Am Fr, den 15.10.2004 schrieb Vladimir Dergachev um 5:27:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Felix [ISO-8859-1] Kühling wrote:

Am Fr, den 15.10.2004 schrieb Jon Smirl um 3:58:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:55:37 +0200, Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm trying to get Shadow status working in the savage driver. I'd like
to put the status page into locked shared memory and tell the Savage
chips about its physical address. I used a drmAddMap call copied from
the MGA driver that looked like it did what I wanted. But I had to find
out that the handle returned by drmAddMap is a kernel virtual address,
not a physical address. Later I saw that the status page seems to be
unused in the MGA driver. The code to get the physical address from the
kernel virtual address is #if-ed out, probably for portability reasons.

Does the code in drm_pci.c apply? It's only used by the via driver. I'm not sure what it does.

I guess if I was only going to use that memory in kernel drm_pci_alloc would be fine. But I want to map the status page at least in the Xserver, maybe also in clients.

Take a look at km or v4l drivers - maybe there is something you can use.

With 2.4 I used rvmalloc - I don't recall whether there is a standard mechanism for this in 2.6.

The point is that I'm not just looking for a way to get a physical
address in Linux. In that case I'd just use virt_to_bus on the map
handle. Since I only need a single page I also don't need to worry about
allocating consistent memory. However, I want to use the mechanisms
available in the DRM abstraction layer so that the savage driver stays
(at least theoretically) portable to BSD and so that I can use
drmMap/drmMapBufs to map the status page in the Xserver and/or in DRI
clients.

I'm not sure that such a mechanism exists. If it doesn't, I think the onus falls on the porter to provide one, if a port is ever attempted.

Keith

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl -- _______________________________________________ Dri-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dri-devel