On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:54:35 -0400
Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've checked two new directories into DRM CVS for Linux 2.6 -
> linux-core, shared-core. This code implements a new model for DRM
> where DRM is split into a core piece and personality modules that
> share the core. The major reason for doing this is that it allows me
> to remove all of the DRM() macros; something that is causing lot's of
> complaints from the Linux kernel people.

A single savage works just fine. This is lsmod output with X running:

Module                  Size  Used by
savage                  3520  0
drm                    62500  3 savage

Is it normal that the savage module looks unused? I can actually rmmod
the savage module while X is running. After that direct rending fails
with some error message about permissions ... reloading savage didn't
help (of course, because X wouldn't reinitialize it). A bit later the
box locked up. Is this 0 usage count and the ability to rmmod the module
while X is running specific to the savage driver or do other drivers
show the same behaviour?

Some questions about future driver development: So the new linux-core
and shared-core are the place to do new driver development? If this is
correct then it will be for 2.6 kernels only, right? I suppose there
would some back-porting effort involved in getting a future savage
driver to work with 2.4 again (like adding back all the DRM() macros).

[snip]
> --
> Jon Smirl
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |