On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 10:32:57AM -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> >On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 04:24:19PM -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:
> >
> >>I think the right answer is to apply the fix for reading alpha from the
> >>framebuffer and ignore the 888 modes.  Since the hardware is operating
> >>in 8888 mode, pretending to be 888 is just wrong.  We'd have to go
> >>through and make sure that 0xff is *always* written as the output from
> >>the alpha blend stage in 888 mode.  Yuck.
> >
> >The 888 mode would be useful for the 24+8 overlay case if we change it to
> >not touch the alpha bits. But the drm would require a small change since
> >the swap ioctl always sets PLNWT to 0xffffffff.
>
> Ah.  Okay.  Other than the changes to the swap routine, how much effort
> is it to make the hardware not draw to the alpha bits?

Apart from the swap case I think it should as simple as making sure
mgaDDColorMask() sets the mask properly. That should take care of drawing
and clearing I think. I have that in code but never actually tested it
since DirectFB doesn't support overlay modes.

> >I actually have (in my Mesa 5 for DirectFBGL tree) span functions for
> >(a)rgb 332, 555, 1555, 565, 888, 8888, and depth/stencil 16/0, 32/0, 15/1,
> >24/8. The 555 and 888 functions don't touch the alpha bit(s).
>
> Some of those modes will be useful when pbuffers are supported.  Does
> the MGA actually support a 15/1 depth/stencil mode?

It does. Well G400/G450/G550 do. G200 doesn't support stencil at all.

--
Ville Syrjälä
[EMAIL PROTECTED]