Hi,

On Saturday 06 November 2004 10:09, Ben Skeggs wrote:
> I think the AGP issues *are* related to the lockup.  I've just switched
> sysloggers, and switched to CVS XServer (was using release 6.8 before).
> My previous problems still occurred, but I now seem to have a lot more
> debugging information in my syslog.  I have the same AGP problem.  If I
> set AGP to 4x in my BIOS (rather than 8x), the corruption, and the
> lockup don't occur.

Okay, the new syslog has all the debug info. I notice the following line:

Nov  7 07:37:58 disoft-dc [drm:radeon_cp_init_ring_buffer] writeback test
failed

The Radeon DRM source code has a comment indicating that writeback doesn't
work everywhere, but I think it's safe to assume that all R300-based chips
should be capable of writeback. This would indeed point towards a problem
in the AGP setup in one way or another, and that means that the ring buffer
won't work properly. Without a working ring buffer setup, it's only natural
for a lockup to occur.
Perhaps we should fail completely when the writeback test failed on
R300-based hardware.

Unfortunately, my AGP-fu isn't strong enough to know what's really going on
here.

> I've attached my syslog from when the lockup occurred, in case it helps.
>
> I also have the problem as Pat, where glxinfo reports "direct rendering:
> No", but my Xorg log says it is.

As long as the X server works and uses the ring buffer, that would point
towards a simple configuration problem. Perhaps you could post a log of
glxinfo with LIBGL_DEBUG=all and RADEON_DEBUG=all?

cu,
Nicolai