On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:56:42 +0000, Ian Molton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Mestnik wrote:
>
> >>if not, will xinerama be able to use 3D / Xv properly on radeon (9000)
> >>in the near future?
> >
> > I don't think there are any plans to support 3D for xinerama.
>
> Is there a technical problem or is it just lack of interest?

It's somewhat of a technical problem.  It could be done with indirect
rendering (opengl commands are send through the X server via glx), but
that is not yet hw accelerated.  right now id does work with sw
rendering.  With direct rendering the 3d app talks directly to the
hardware via libGL, bypassing the Xserver.  if you wanted to support
direct rendering with xinerama you'd have to have some sort of
intellegent dispatch layer to coordinate rendering between potential
multiple 3d engines.  Once we have hw accelerated indirect rendering,
we could disable direct rendering when xinerama is active and use
glxproxy to dispatch 3d commands to the backend X servers.  Mergedfb
works because it's just one big framebuffer with two viewports looking
into it so the 3d engine treats it as such.  It provides it's own
version of xinerama so apps know how behave from a screen persective.

Alex