On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 17:04 +0100, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> Keith Whitwell wrote:
> > It's a little tricky - I guess you'll need some way of informing the
> > kernel which way it is supposed to calculate crtc1_base, either by a new
> > call to the SET_PARAMETER ioctl, or via the ABI version setting
> > interface.  I don't have a good understanding of the latter, the former
> > sounds like an easy option, just ensure that there is a root-only check
> > on that parameter.
> >
> > Keith
>
> Couldn't you add some flag to the drm radeon init ioctl ? It has no flag
> field unfortunately, but I figured you can just put 16 bit worth of
> flags to for instance the front_pitch variable, since the upper 16 bits
> are all zero anyway. Though you'd need to check the radeon drm version
> before doing that. (That's at least what I'm doing for now for
> initializing with color tiling enabled, it IS a hack but there didn't
> seem to be an easy clean solution.). That SET_PARAMETER ioctl sounds
> promising though, never heard of it before ;-).

We've got the setversion ioctl already for dealing with just this issue.
You'd need to add the driver hook to it I think (since no drivers have
needed a version setting before) but that should be easy. Bump the
driver-dependent minor version, and when the minor gets set to this
version or better, set the "I've got the new field" flag in the DRM.  In
this case, you'd probably check that for root capability in the driver
before setting the flag, since only the server should be setting the
"yes the sarea has the new field" value.