Felix Kühling wrote:
I intend to improve the heuristics that chooses the texture heap in
driAllocateTexture. This may involve the texture size to allocate, the
heap sizes and the amount of free space on each heap and maybe the ages
of textures on each heap. I haven't thought too much about the details
yet. If anyone has already put some thought into this I'd appreciate
your input.
IMHO, the ages of textures might be crucial to get a reasonable heuristic. I'm not sure how much of a performance hit (especially with agp 4x and the relatively slow savage chips) agp texturing has (if the cards in question only have slow, narrow ram interfaces it might actually even be faster), but I would think that in general it would be beneficial to try local memory first, but if no recently-not-accessed textures exist (though determining of the threshold what is recent enough might involve some black magic), just use the agp gart heap instead of throwing some local texture out.
I don't think the other criteria you suggest (such as texture size in relation to heap size) are really a good indicator where you'd want to place the texture (ok for that just-fits-local-heap big texture you might be better off usually with gart heap so all other textures fit into local memory, but OTOH maybe it's the only texture currently really accessed).

Roland

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc. Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl -- _______________________________________________ Dri-devel mailing list Dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dri-devel