On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:14:00 -0800, Eric Anholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there evidence that this is/would be in fact faster?

That's how the networking drivers work and they may be the fastest
drivers in the system.
But, it has not been coded for AGP so nobody knows for sure. It has to
be faster though, having the CPU do the copy will cause the TLB cache
to be flushed as you walk through all of the pages. Having the GPU do
the copy is even worse since it moves across AGP.

We have bigger problems to chase. Plus implementing it this way
probably has a bunch of architecture specific problems I don't know
about. But I'm sure it would work on the x86.

After we get X on GL up on mesa-solo I can look at changing the
texture copy code.

--
Jon Smirl