Am Mittwoch, den 16.02.2005, 00:14 -0500 schrieb Alex Deucher:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:51:25 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 February 2005 16:30, Felix K=FChling wrote:
> > >
> > > I took another look at your lspci-output. It's a PCI
> > > card, right? I saw vertex corruption with PCI-DMA on my
> > > Savage4 once. Maybe this isn't working reliably. Does it
> > > help to set enable_vdma to false (in driconf or the
> > > environment)? Performance will be worse though.
> > >

> > The chip is connected to a PCI bus on the notebooks
> > main board.
> >
> > Haven't tried enable_vdma as solution to problem is below.
> >
> > > Have you overclocked your front-side bus? In that case,
> > > does it help if you don't overclock?
> >
> > No overclocking by me, All I do is underclock the LCD clock=20
> > to 40MHz in the hope of less heat under the keyboard :-)
> >

> > > Did you override the VideoRam size in xorg.conf? Maybe
> > > you made it believe that it has more memory than is
> > > actually available.
> > >

> > Yes, that was it, memory size was set to 16384, it =20
> > apparently got only 8192 according  to Xorg log.
> > Dunno why the machine is advertised with 16M and used
> > this setting wo DRI for 3 years.
>
> the DDX never used more than a couple megs probably.
>

> > Now it does work with tuxkart and tuxracer. fgfs will
> > not load anymore, perhaps not enough video memory?

Maybe fgfs needs a certain minimum texture size that is not available
with 8MB memory. You could try to reduce the resolution in order to make
more texture memory available. This may also improve performance with
other applications due to reduced texture swapping.

> > Is there a savage IX chip with 16M?
>
> There were some, but I don't think they ever left S3's testing labs.
> No commercial vendors that I know of used them.

FWIW, 16MB is the theoretical limit you can get with this chip because
of the layout of the PCI address mapping.

--
| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |