On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 04:11:08PM -0500, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> >Also, to cover the obvious, you did update the DRM driver, recompile
> >it and reloaded it ? Check that there are no stray binaries around..

> Yeah, the DRM was updated as well.  I've compared md5sums on the drm.ko
> and radeon.ko modules in /lib/modules/2.6.10/kernel/drivers/char/drm to
> the ones in the drm directory of r300_driver tree that I just built from
> this morning.  Exact match.  Even after doing a "make clean" in the drm
> source directory and rebuilding it just now, they match.
>
> I'm not sure what stray binaries would cause this..  However, libGL.so
> is definitely loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r300_dri.so, and I
> build and installed that this morning (and have since updated it this
> afternoon).

First post on this topic, sorry if it's messy. I have an amd64 portable
(Mitac 8355) with a RV350 (Mobility Radeon 9600 M10). I just updated the
drivers yesterday, and tried enabling VB mode by altering that #if 1.
The system did a hard lockup pretty much immediately on running
glxgears; at least one frame was drawn, then not even network logins
worked.

The update also brought another curious change. Back in immediate mode,
there now seems to be some sort of waiting going on that shouldn't be.
GL apps tend to freeze their display unless there are events for the X
server to deal with, such as touchpad input. dmesg is full of this:

[drm:radeon_cp_dispatch_swap] *ERROR* Engine timed out before swap
buffer blit

glxgears tends to resume for short bursts occasionally, but neverputt
does not. I tried rolling back the Mesa and Xorg drivers separately, but
it appears to me like this is caused by a DRM change. crack-attack does
not suffer from this problem. glxgears reports normal framerates (>90
fps on 1400x1050, window size 1398x1030) despite few visual updates
occurring.

Tips on how to proceed isolating this would be very welcome. The
previous update, if I am not mistaken, was from about four or five days
ago.

--
PGP fingerprint = 9242 DC15 2502 FEAB E15F  84C6 D538 EC09 5380 5746