[slightly off topic]

Am Sonntag, den 13.03.2005, 12:56 -0500 schrieb Jon Smirl:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:47:14 +0200, Ville Syrjälä <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I don't understand why we have "GART memory" anyway. It's just main memory
> > and I don't see any point going through the GART to access it with the
> > CPU. Only the graphics card needs to use the GART.
>
> I see no need to for the CPU to go through the GART either. The main
> CPU page tables can provide the same rearranging that the GART does.
>
> We do need specially marked GART memory because of caching issues. If
> the CPU writes to GART RAM the write may still be on the CPU chip in a
> cache. We have to make sure it gets pushed into physical memory so
> that the GPU can see it.

If this is true, then I'm surprised that PCI-DMA with normal cacheable
memory works. All practical experience with the Savage driver teaches me
that a memory barrier is sufficient. Or does a memory barrier really
flush all CPU caches?

[snip]

--
| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |