Maybe the lockup you experiment is linked with the lockup
Adam gets. Adam have you upgraded you kernel recently ?
Maybe a 2.6.10 or even previous one could fix this. Thus
telling that the lockup may be due to some usb change or
some others things in the kernel.

Just trying to see if this is linked :) Hope this could help
a little...

Jerome Glisse