On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Peter Zubaj wrote:

I just realized something - isn't the application supposed to change
Z test for that ?

I don't know, but all application I tested and which uses alpha test -
has z test enabled and all displays errors (tuxracer, enemy territory,
fire - from mesa/demos)

Maybe what really happens is that disabling Z test is broken.

Z test is not disabled - it is enabled. Problem is - even alpha test fails (and fragment is discarded) z value is still written (and this looks wrong).

So you are saying that this bit is "don't write Z when alpha test fails" ?

I would suggest trying to find a similar bit in R200 hardware, it might shed light on what the entire register does.

                         best

                           Vladimir Dergachev

On the other hand, as Nicolai points out it would be nice to know
what that register does and whether other bits have any function.

AFAIK:

fglrx initialize 0x4f14 register to 0x00000001, but when alpha test is
enabled it sets it to 0x00000000. I have to do more tests to see if
fglrx sets this register back to 0x00000001 (for now looks, like it is
not set back, but I need to make test program for it).

Peter Zubaj