Am Sonntag, den 27.03.2005, 22:22 +0200 schrieb David:
> El Domingo, 27 de Marzo del 2005 9:16 PM, Felix Kühling escribió:
> > >
> > > Well, I think that there should be more strings marked for translation.
> >
> > I suppose you're referring to option descriptions? They are not part of
> > the DRIconf user interface, they are defined in the drivers themselves.
> > Of course you're welcome to translate them too. Take a look at
> > mesa/src/mesa/drivers/dri/common/xmlpool.h in Mesa CVS.
> >
> I'll take a look.
>
> > Now that I know gettext, I'm considering to generate xmlpool.h
> > automatically from .po-files. That would make life easier for
> > maintainers of translations, especially for non-programmers.
> >
> A brief note on this: I searched google for pygettext and I read somewhere
> that it has been deprecated for xgettext, now supporting python.
>
> I installed python-demo from a suse package, but "make po" failed saying that
> pygettext could not be found, so I copied pygettext.py to the driconf
> directory and edited the Makefile so that "python pygettext.py" were called
> instead of only "pygettext".

Ok, I changed the Makefile to use xgettext and also fixed a bug about
creating <lang>/LC_MESSAGES directories. It's attached and will be in
the next release.

> > BTW, do you use any special tool for editing .po files? I tried the
> > Emacs mode for po files, but I'm not too happy with it. (Maybe I'd
> > change my mind if I was dealing with longer .po files.)
> >
> I use a plain text editor: Kate. I could have used also KBabel or another
> specific tool, but IMHO they are very complicated for the normal user.
>
> > > Anyway here's the .po for the Spanish translation.
> >
> > Thanks for this very quick reply. I'll wait for a few more translations
> > before making a new release.
> >
> > I went through your translation. I know very little Spanish myself (I
> > know how it's pronounced ;-) and have a few comments/questions:
> >
> > The "í" in "aplicacíón" looks like a typo:
> >         msgstr "Crear un nuevo dispositivo o aplicacíón"
> >
> Yes, It's a typo. It should be "aplicación".

Fixed in my local CVS.

> > You translated "anyway" in two different ways. Is that intentional?
> > Would it be better to use the same formulation in both cases?
> >         ¿Salir de todos modos?
> >         ¿Salvar de todas formas?
> >
> Both forms are correct. And you are right. Choose one.

I chose the (slightly) shorter one. ;-)

> > Is "Creados" a typo? AFAIK plural should not change the verb:
> >         msgstr "Creados nuevos archivos de configuración DRI %s por
> >         usted."
> >

> Yes, but here the phrase is a short form for: "Han sido creados nuevos
> archivos de configuración por usted".

All right, so it's not a verb but a participle. My fault.

> It would be more natural with a passive form:
> "Se han creado nuevos archivos de configuración de DRI por usted".
> or
> "Se han creado por usted nuevos archivos de configuración de DRI".

I'll leave this alone for now as I can't tell what's better. I won't
argue with any changes you make in a later revision of es.po, you're the
native speaker.

> > The last one is more out of curiosity: You used "usted" when addressing
> > the user, which is used very much in South America among strangers.
> > AFAIK in Spain "tú" is more widely used, though I don't know which is
> > the usual form in user interfaces. What is your experience?
> >
> "Usted" is the polite form. Kids use it to talk to adults, and people use it
> when talking to somebody who had never meet before, etc.
> In South America it is used way more often.
> However, it is the form that user interfaces use. KDE uses it all the time.

Ok. Thanks for the insight. :)

--
| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |

# Prerequisites:

# - pygettext from the python distribution
# - GNU gettext

# How to use this:

# To start working on a new translation edit the POS=... line
# below. If you want to add for example a french translation, add
# fr.po.

# Then run "make po" to generate fresh .po files from translatable
# strings in driconf.py. Now you can edit the new .po file (fr.po in
# the example above) to translate the strings. Please make sure that
# your editor encodes the file in UTF-8.

# Finally run "make mo" to generate a new binary file for gettext. It
# will be stored in <lang>/LC_MESSAGES/driconf.mo. You can test the
# new translation by running ./driconf in the current directory
# without reinstalling DRIconf all the time. Of course you need to
# have the correct locale setting in order to see your translation.

# To get your new translation into the next release of DRIconf please
# send me your <lang>.po file.

# More information:

# - info gettext
# - documentation of the gettext python package

# The set of supported languages. Add languages as needed.
POS=de.po es.po

# Automatically generated list of mo files.
MOS=$(POS:%.po=%/LC_MESSAGES/driconf.mo)

.PHONY: mo po

# Default target. Use this to update your .mo files from the .po files.
mo:
	@for mo in $(MOS); do \
		lang=$${mo%%/*}; \
		echo "Updating $$mo from $$lang.po."; \
		mkdir -p $${mo%/*}; \
		msgfmt -o $$mo $$lang.po; \
	done

# Use this target to create or update .po files with new messages in
# driconf.py.
po: $(POS)

# Extract message catalog from driconf.py.
driconf.pot: driconf.py
	xgettext -L python -o driconf.pot driconf.py

# Create or update a .po file for a specific language.
%.po: driconf.pot
	if [ -f $@ ]; then \
		mv $@ [EMAIL PROTECTED]; \
		msgmerge -o $@ [EMAIL PROTECTED] driconf.pot; \
	else \
		msginit -o [EMAIL PROTECTED] --locale=$*; \
		sed -e 's/charset=.*\\n/charset=UTF-8\\n/' [EMAIL PROTECTED] > $@; \
	fi