On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 14:59 -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:
> I've started working to get PCI MGA cards, the PCI G450 specifically,
> working with DRI.  My initial goal is to just get it working with crummy
> performance, then improve it by adding support for IOMMUs (to simulate
> AGP texturing) on systems like pSeries and AMD64 that have them.
>
> I've started by digging through the DRI init process in the X.org MGA
> DDX.  As near as I can tell, the driver uses AGP memory for four things.
>   To make the PCI cards work, I'll need to make it do without AGP for
> these things.

  ../..

Note that most of these issues can be more easily dealt with if you
assume an iommu. What you basically want to do is create a virtual
mapping, build an sglist, and have the iommu coalesce that into a single
PCI DMA mapping.

Unfortunately, the current iommu API doesn't really have a way to
enforce the iommu driver to create a single mapping. It will happen most
of the time, but can't be enforced. We may have to add something to the
DMA APIs to add this ability, or do a quick hack in the meantime as a
proof of concept. I could do something for pSeries if you need that.

Ben.