WPTR == RPTR means the ring is empty, if you mean that. The DRM handles
that though, unless you made r300 specific changes to the ring handling.
(I don't think that RBBM_STATUS would indicate the CP being busy in that
case, anyway)

No there are no R300 specific modifications as far as I know.

But could it be that a malformed command at the very end of the buffer
would cause CP engine to spin ? For example what if a command spans WPTR ?

You mean that you think you've written a complete (set of) command(s),
but the CP interprets it differently? That would be possible I think,
but again, do you emit any r300 specific commands to the ring?

What do you mean by r300 specific ? We access registers that are r300 specific and use *_2 versions of 3d commands (the ones one field shorter)
but that's it.

                    best

                       Vladimir Dergachev