Nicolai Haehnle wrote:

Hi everybody,

I once again tripped upon an R300 lockup (possibly the same one that everybody's been talking about) and spent the last one and half days chasing it down.

It turns out that writing the vertex buffer age to scratch registers (the ones that are written back to main memory) during a 3D sequence is a bad idea. Apparently, this confuses the memory controller so much that some part of the engine locks up hard.

The attached patch.out-of-loop-dispatch-age fixes this, at least for me.

The attached patch.remove-userspace-pacifiers removes additional unnecessary emission of the pacifier sequence from the userspace driver. Userspace isn't supposed to emit this sequence anyway.

Could everybody please test whether a) the first patch really does fix the lockups people are seeing and b) whether combining both the first and the second patch causes any regressions.

If everything's fine with these patches, I'm going to commit them in a few days or so.

cu,
Nicolai

A) The first patch may help a little, but definitely doesn't eliminate the lockups.

B) Huge regression. With both patches I get an immediate lockup when launching glxgears (before the
window is even drawn).

Adam