On Thursday 02 June 2005 13:08, Boris Peterbarg wrote:
> Aapo Tahkola wrote:
> > I did some figuring on the CB_DPATH problem.
> > After little testing it turns out that the lock up with
> > progs/demos/isosurf goes away when the pacifier sequences are applied to
> > clearbuffer.
> >
> > Im starting to think that this sequence is needed whenever overwriting
> > certain states rather than whenever 3d operation begins and ends.

Perhaps. I don't think it's just the pacifier sequence, though. I've been
running applications with RADEON_DEBUG=sync, which causes idle calls
between cmdbuf calls, and I've been seeing lockups where the read pointer
sits after the beginning of what cmdbuf emits and long before the first
rendering commands. This indicates that at least one lockup is cause by one
of the following:
- intial pacifier sequence in r300_cp_cmdbuf
- emission of cliprects or
- initial unchecked_state commands sent by the client

 I've been experimenting with rearranging the order in which certain blocks
of state are emitted (by rearranging the appropriate code in
r300/r300_cmdbuf.c), and this does seem to havve an effect on lockups, but
I haven't found a single good combination, and it's all just not very
reliable.

I'm curious what the line of investigation related to memory consumption
will show, as I'm more or less convinced that the lockups have *something*
to do with memory access.

> > Any brave souls left? (patch attached)
> >

> I think you're going in the right direction.
> ut2004demo, which previously always locked up the moment the menu
> appeared, now locks up after 6-20 seconds or so.
> Also, a lock up that happened to me with running other programs with
> glxgears, opening their popup menus and pressing icons takes longer too.
>
> Adding patch.remove-userspace-pacifiers to this one causes almost
> immediate lock ups.
>
> I get the feeling the mouse (even with silken mouse off) has some
> effect. It's as if the more I move it the faster the lock up appears.

To be honest, I doubt that. I've been running a pure X server with just one
or two clients a lot in the last days, and moving the mouse doesn't make
any difference at all. Most likely, moving the mouse in applications causes
the behaviour of the applications to become less regular, which triggers
lockups. glean, for example, which behaves in a very irregular fashion even
when you don't do anything at all, seems pretty lockup-happy to me.

cu,
Nicolai