On 6/7/05, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 15:48 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Am I right in this interpretation? First I need to get the
> > bus/device/func of the card, then I need to tell this to the driver
> > (which must already know this info). I then get back the IRQ number,
> > which I then pass back to the driver (which already know this) and
> > tell it to turn interrupts on.
>
> While we are at it, why the hell did we split up the PCI ID in
> bus,dev,fn like that ? We really want either a single structure
> containing the PCI ID to be passed around or a C string. The current
> scheme can't be made to work properly with PCI domains.

There is no need to fix the call parameters, the calls themselves
aren't really needed. User space shouldn't need to pass the PCI slot
id back into a driver it already has a handle for. The driver should
know this info without being told.

These call messes are a result of fbdev and DRM not being linked. This
prevents DRM from using the kernel PCI ID mechanism for binding to
hardware. We can't add PCI ID binding to DRM since that prevents fbdev
from loading. The only solution is to link fbdev and DRM.

I'm trying right now to talk DaveA into letting me link radeon DRM to
radeon fbdev. It will be a compile time linkage (like how DRM links to
AGP), if radeon DRM is enabled at compile time it will enable radeon
fbdev and link to it. If radeon DRM is not enabled you can still build
radeonfb standalone. I think we should have done this a long time ago.

Note that loading radeonfb does not trigger fbconsole. You have to
load fbconsole and radeonfb to do that. Xegl requires both radeonfb
and radeon DRM loaded and cooperating.

--
Jon Smirl