On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 08:51 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 6/17/05, Adam Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > User mode helpers have their own set of problems. It is really hard to
> > > build them so that the system doesn't deadlock in low memory
> > > situations. The OOM process killer can also kill them if it gets
> > > desperate for memory. Trying to run them can trigger swap storms, etc.
> > > Several groups are building systems like that on Linux right now -
> > > FUSE, iSCSI, others. Their success is varied and no one has had
> > > complete success.
> >
> > May I suggest that if you don't have enough memory to change video mode,
> > then
> > you don't have enough memory anyway.  And by induction, if the process to
> > change modes consumes enough memory to trigger the OOM killer, then you are
> > memory-starved to begin with.
>
> We just have to think about stuff like this. What if the mode change
> is needed to display the console messages that we are out of memory,
> the OOM killer has started, etc. Just because you are out of memory I
> don't think you want to lose control of the console. The in-kernel
> version stays working in this case.

Everyone except for you that I have heard so far has been assuming the
kernel has some very limited capability to change modes in case things
go horribly wrong, which OOM killing this hypothetical small daemon
certainly should qualify as.

--
Eric Anholt                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              [EMAIL PROTECTED]