On Friday 17 June 2005 23:18, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > drmAddMap has to be root-only because it's mapping device memory into
> > userspace (can trigger bus-master writes, blah blah, root escalation).  I
> > think that's the only one that _really_ needs it, and to be honest those
> > mappings should get set up from the DRM side anyway and AddMap should
> > just die.
>
> I agree 100%.  In fact, most of my recent work to enable DRI on PCI
> Matrox cards focused on exactly that.  The code in mga_do_dma_bootstrap
> (and friends) is a good model (IM-not-so-HO!) for where the other DRMs
> should go.

Cool, I'll look into that for the imagine driver.

> Basically, user-mode should say to the kernel, "Please initialize
> yourself with these tunable parameters."  The kernel should then do
> whatever it wants and let user-mode know what it did.

Actually right after I said that I remembered that drmAddMap is also used to
set up the SAREA.  So, maybe it shouldn't die, but I don't think it should
need to do anything besides the DRM_SHM mappings, and those can be done
without needing root.

- ajax