Hi!
Dave Airlie wrote:

At the moment I'm having similiar issues with Radeon XvMC it initially
will require root as I'm not sure how to submit the command streams
outside of indirect buffers which are a root only thing...
Can't it be done the same way as for 3D commands, using specialized
ioctls?

Eventually yes, but that VHA stuff sets a load of registers in indirect
buffer, fills up an indirect buffer and sends it the card... to do this
without indirect buffers would require a fair lot of sending commands
between blocks to make sure the card is back in a known state ...

Could you have an IOCTL set upp the indirect buffer and fire it based on data it is handled? Or maybe that was what Michael asked. Running a video player as root is really a bad thing and VIA has received a lot of bashing for their solution.

I think it will at any rate .. at the moment I've no memory manager so I'm
going to do a gross hack initially anyways as I need to allocate 5 * max
video size at startup time .. uggh... waste of good VRAM...

The XvMC capable players out there needs 8 surfaces to run smoothly. At least xine does.

Dave.

/Thomas