On 6/22/05, Thomas Hellström <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  1) How is allocating a second fixed sarea different from splitting the
> first SAREA in two parts? The problem is not space but future expandability
> and generality.

Both the DRM and driver sarea structs go into the first SHM. You can
use the second one for whatever you want.  We have to leave the
organization of the first SHM alone to keep existing binaries working.

Drivers without XvMC support won't create the second SHM.

>  2) How is a non-root drmAddMap for shared memory a bigger security risc
> than shmget? I understand why SAREA containing the lock needs to be
> permanent, but not subsequent ones. Why can't they be created on demand by
> the master?

The memory being allocated by the drivers is non-swappable kernel
memory. shmget is allocating swapable memory. Device drivers can't
user swapable memory. There is a limited amout of kernel space memory
available.

--
Jon Smirl