On 6/28/05, Dave Airlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Is anyone working on a stub driver ??
> >
> > While you wait on the great stub debate to be settled (it has been
> > going on for about 18 months with no action) why not simply fix
> > intelfb to work right on the i915?
>
> I've said this before I think, but intelfb is very broken, apart from the
> fact it can't modeset on anything but single CRT case...
>
> I've got a start on a basic stub driver I might get a run at it this
> weekend to make it actually work... I'm going to do both radeon and intel
> as the issues so far have been mainly to do with not thinking about other
> use cases...

Even if you have a fully functioning stub driver it is not going to
make the i915 work. If we want the i915 working someone is still going
to have to fix the suspend/resume and mode setting code. The radeon is
messed up because of conflicts between the drivers, the i915 is simply
missing needed code - a stub won't help it.

I can also predict the probable outcome on kernel submission if we use
the stub to start building suspend/resume in two different places -
DRM and fbdev.

--
Jon Smirl