On 6/28/05, Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jon Smirl wrote:
> > From what I can tell vesafb use is pretty rare. A while ago I broke
> > things in DRM CVS so that vesafb wouldn't work, it was about two
> > months until we got a complaint. DRM CVS is fixed for vesafb but the
> > long lag indicates that there aren't very many users. After the
> > problem the user switched to radeonfb.
>
> Couldn't that be telling you that DRM CVS use is pretty rare, not
> vesafb? Most people are just using releases, so unless the breakage
> slipped into 6.8.2, a lot of vesafb users never got near it.

I'm only talking about vesafb use in conjunction with DRM. That
probably is not a configuration that can be supported well since we do
not have the source to the vesafb drivers in the board ROMs. I don't
think there are very many people who use vesafb with DRM since fbdev
drivers also exist for these cards.

Instead of vesafb I would suggest using the fbdev driver. In that case
we have the source for both the DRM and fbdev drivers. If the fbdev
driver is broken file some bugs and let the developers know.

In the i915 case I suggest that the better course of action would be
to fix i915 fbdev support than to spend a lot of effort trying to find
another solution.

--
Jon Smirl