Egbert Eich writes:

> My patches support a wider range of chipsets (Matrox, R128 and Radeon)
> and provide a framework which makes it easy to add ioctl32 support
> to more chipsets.

Unfortunately your macros have the effect of increasing the effort
required by a kernel developer to read and understand the code.  In
the kernel we care much more about code being easy to read than about
it being easy to write.  A kernel developer reading my code sees the
function names that they know (access_ok, copy_to_user, etc.) and can
see at a glance what the code is doing.

> Furthermore they have support for both the old style ioctl32 support
> and the one that uses compat_alloc_user_space() so they should work
> on a wider range of kernels.

The biggest problem, though, is that you are still using
register_ioctl32_conversion, even for your "new" style support.  That
function is about to be removed.  We need to supply a compat_ioctl
function in the file_operations vector, which is what the code which
is now upstream does.

I would also like to discuss the treatment of handles a bit more.  You
have taken the approach of always hashing handles.  I had concluded
some time ago that that approach had problems because of the tendency
of the DRI userspace to use physical addresses (of the framebuffer and
card registers) as the offset in mmap calls (if I remember correctly,
it was a while ago that I last looked at this stuff).  I'm interested
to know how your patch solves that problem.

Also, does a kernel with your patch work with existing unmodified X
servers and DRI clients?  On x86_64 that would mean a 64-bit X server
with 64-bit clients.  Or do you require userspace to be updated if the
kernel DRM is updated with your patch?

Paul.