Hi all,
I am new to linux. I am intesrested in developing
drivers for graphics cards.

I want to setup a debugging environment for DRM/DRI. I
have a RADEON 9600 PRO card. And, I have the card on a
m/c which has linux kernel 2.6.7( compiled with KGDB
enabled). I also have X11( 6.8.2) installed on that
machine. ( compiled with debugging enabled)

But, the issue is X server does not recognize the card
as a RADEON card. It just says - VESA genric device.
If I change it forcefully to RADEON 9600 PRO the
server locks up.

When I start the KGDB, the DRM does not get loaded up.

Can some one tell me when does it get loaded?.

How to debug the DRI code?. I tried debugging it with
the GDB. But, GDB says no symbols available for
debugging. I have compiled X11 with debugging option
enabled.( However I have noticed that while building
X11 with the World command, it cleans up the .o files.
How do I retain these?).

I am trying to use a latest kernel version - 2.6.12.1
and the latest X11. But, KGDB patch fails on this
kernel. Has any one applied this patch on a 1.6.12.1
version. If so, please let me know how to proceed?.

Since, I am new to this please some one guide mehow to
set up a debugging environment for the DRM/DRI
development.

Appreciate your help.