I'm planning to do some benchmarks when ATI update their driver to
work with the new xorg release. Any sugestions for some benckmarks
that I can run? I'll post the results to the mailing list if people
are interested?

glxgears is the easy one :)

You could also try FlightGear as far as games go.

There is also some general OpenGL benchmarking suite (forgot the name),
it might be relatively easy to setup.

Thanks
Sander

PS: Is this the correct list to be asking these kind of thing? The
r300 website has no refference to a forum or other mailing list then
this one.

Yep, this is the right mailing list.

                               best

                                   Vladimir Dergachev