On 8/3/05, Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > So why did you change their requiring root?
> >
> > The version of Xegl I am making does not run as root. [...]
>
> I know. You missed my question: Why do you change the behaviour of code
> that doesn't affect what you're trying to achieve?

The original code did not separate the concept of auth and root, they
were implemented as the same bit. I had to separate the concepts. I
kept all of the code implementing auth unchanged.

There was a single check looking for root across all IOCTLs. I had to
remove that check.  Now we have have to identify the IOCTLs that
really require root and add the check specifically to them. So far
there are only two: addmap and indirect.

I could have made three bits:  auth_needed,  root_only,  master.  But
that was a lot of deltas to implement a root_only bit which is only
needed for indirect. Instead it is easier to just add a capability
root check in the ioctl.

You can't uses a root only bit on addmap since the root requirement is
a function of the parameters passed in.

--
Jon Smirl