On 8/6/05, Patrick McFarland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 04:19 pm, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > I've included the scanout types for the R200, what other ones are
> > supported by the various chips? For example I think the R300 can
> > scanout in floating point.
> >
> > 4bpp Indexed
> > 8bpp Indexed
> > 16bpp aRGB 1555
> > 16bpp RGB 565
> > 24bpp RGB 888
> > 32bpp aRGB 8888
> > 16bpp aRGB 4444
> > 16bpp aIndex 88
> > 32bpp aRGB 2:10:10:10 palette bypassed
> >
> > Note, the r200 supports a lot more buffer formats, but these are the
> > only ones valid for scanout.
>
> What does scanout mean?

A scanout buffer is a buffer that the graphics chip reads from to
directly display on the screen.  There are other buffer types like
texture and pbuffer that are not directly displayable. For example the
Radeon r200 does not allow floating point colors in scanout buffers
but they can be used in other buffer types.

--
Jon Smirl