On Jul 28, 05 19:29:19 +0200, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> >R200 did not really have pixel shaders. They had a configurable pixel
> > pipeline, that's different. Comparable to GeForce2, a little bit
> >better.
> Looks better to me than GeForce3/4, really, if only for the dependant
> texture read. You nowadays indeed have (directx) games which have PS 1.4
> (thus r200) as minimum, but won't work on GF3/4.

GeForce3 didn't improve much here compared to GeForce2. You could have
dependant texture read in GeForce3 as well (NV_texture_shader), but I
think that the later R2xx were a little bit more flexible.

> >The GeForce3 had 3D textures (except for an early sample we had at
> >Unversity :-/ ), and IIRC this was before the Radeon7500.
> If the Radeon7500 has it, the radeon 7200 (radeon sdr/ddr as it was
> called) should have it too. And that was certainly way before geforce3.

It seems to have it as well. I don't remember the release dates, though.
I think I remember, that the OpenGL drivers exposed this feature on the
GeForce first.

> >Well - sort of. R300 still does not do IEEE computations in its pixel
> > shader (I think R400 doesn't either), which gives you crappy results
> > for GPGPU applications.
> True, but that's not really what these cards are intended for. R300 does
> nice fast fp24 calculations, with FX5 you could choose between really
> slow fp16 and even slower fp32 :-). Oh or you could choose quite fast
> int8...

Sort of. Well, fp16 was quite ok. And on FX6 this is really fast now.

> >Yep. They used to do good hardware. Have fallen behind a bit compared
> > to GeForce6, but not much.
> Well, r520 should do fp32, longer shaders and what not. The chip's late
> though, we'll see.

> (is it only me or is this all "slightly" offtopic?)

Yep, let's end it now :^)

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg    (_   | |  (_   |__         [EMAIL PROTECTED]