Dave,

I also own a Radeon X800 XL AGP 256MB and would like to use
the open source driver. Do you have a patch for the changes
you made?

I just finished a driver for the Fusion HDTV 3/5 Gold TV
tuner cards. These cards receive both analog and digital
TV. There is no MPEG decoding on the cards so I bought a
Radeon X800 XL card to get component video output and MPEG
acceleration.

I think this means I only need 2D so I tried the ATI binary
driver version 8.14.13. I have given up on the ATI binary
driver because it doesn't allocate enough DRI buffers (100
buffers) to hold an HDTV frame (1920x1080 pixels). No one
at ATI is able to tell me how to increase the number of DRI
buffers. If the open source driver has this limit I should
be able to fix it.

Although I am a driver developer, I am new to this driver
and how to intergrate it into the kernel. I run Gentoo
Linux 2.6.12 and will move to 2.6.13 as soon as it is
released. Please point me to documentation such as CVS info
and the procedure to compile and install the radeon driver
and any associated libraries.

-- Mac