On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 13:27 -0500, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Howdy all! What is the present status of S3 suspend support in the DRI?
> I ask because my laptop locks up with a scrambled screen on resume from
> S3 standby when using the radeon driver with DRI enabled. This is a
> known problem with the DRI drivers and as such, at least one workaround
> has be devised. Supposedly, starting an X server before switching to the
> original X session after resume prevents the freeze, although I have
> been unable to verify this. Is there some missing code for state
> restoration/reinitialization of the card? I thought these
> (http://cpbotha.net/dri_resume.html) patches were supposed to solve the
> What would be the best way to start debugging this problem (littering
> the code with debug outputs sent over the network perhaps?)? What can I
> do (code) to make suspend support more reliable on the R300? Thanks a
> ton.

Well, the DRI is supposed to be reinitialized by X from EnterVT() which
is called when the system restores the VC of the server on wakeup from
sleep... However, I've been having issue with that code. In fact, it's
possible that your problem is related to the problems I'm trying to fix
of MC_FB_LOCATION and MC_AGP_LOCATION being set to crap and overwritten
in potentially conflicting ways between the server and the DRM (among
others).

> P.S. R300 RENDER support is coming along nicely, although I have up to
> this point be primarily writing test-bench code so that I might better
> understand the workings of the card.

Excellent !