Roland Scheidegger wrote:
Keith Whitwell wrote:

Right now, I'm primarily concerned with unified memory chipsets, like
i915 and via. This memory manager would be suitable for managing the
AGP memory on non-unified chipsets, but a different implementation
would be needed for the on-card video ram, based more on dma and
copying than map/unmapping as will be seen below.

I'm not sure I quite understand that, do you propose completely separate managers for handling agp and video ram?

You're right, I had been thinking as if the two managers could be made disjoint. I guess there will need to be either a mechanism for multiple backends behind the common API, or else the future Video RAM manager I refer to will actually be an extension of the AGP manager I propose which includes handling of Video RAM as well.

In any case, I feel that there are benefits in tackling the AGP only case first, basically getting something up and running in a simplified environment to validate aspects of the design before tackling the full problem.

Keith