Am Freitag, den 27.01.2006, 17:45 +0100 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 23:24 -0500, Felix Kühling wrote:
> >
> > It is my pleasure to announce a new release of DRIconf, version 0.9.0 of
> > the DRI configuration applet. The source and installation instructions
> > can be found on the project homepage at
> > http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriConf. Note that updated pre-packaged
> > versions for Linux distributions are not available yet.
>
> The .deb is at http://incoming.debian.org/ now and will be in sid within
> 24 hours. :)

Nice. :-)

> > This version introduces a completely redesigned user interface that is
> > intended to be both simpler and more intuitive. If the old user
> > interface resembled the GNOME configuration editor then the new one
> > looks and feels much more like a configuration applet. Thus the big
> > change in the version number.
>
> FWIW, I like the new UI much better (it reminded me that I
> unintentionally overrode some settings for some apps :). My only
> suggestion would be to hide the default settings in both parts of the
> UI, on the one hand so that it'll pick up changes to the default values,
> and on the other hand because it would tidy up the upper part IMO.

Matthew suggested to make the option descriptions shorter and add longer
descriptions in a tool tip. That would tidy up the upper part but you'd
still have the overview of all options. It may require a change in the
drivers, though, and possibly a change of the configuration
infrastructure itself. I'm going to look into this. I believe I can do
this without breaking compatibility between old/new drivers and DRIconf
version.

>  On a
> slightly related note, a drag bar between the parts to change their
> relative height might be nice.

I don't like the drag-bar. In the old UI it tended to mess up the
automatic widget space allocation and forced me to hard-code some widget
and window sizes in pixels. If this is really an issue I might break out
the application settings into a separate dialog instead.

> Thanks for this great update, keep 'em coming! :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |