Thanks, Stephane. What confuses me is that I'm running all these ioctls as
root. I've done them sudo'd, then as root directly, both from a console
(makes debugging a bit difficult) and via ssh.

Any comment on why the addctx ioctl appears to run to completion (when I
view my dbg statements in drm.ko output with dmesg), but the userspace
function call to drmCreateContext gets an error message?

Will the kernel disallow an ioctl with "Permission denied", but still allow
the ioctl method to run? Can't imagine why that would be the case....

Dan

> > A check inside drmCreateContext shows that an error (13) is in fact
> > returned by that method.
> > An strace shows the following at the ioctl call:
> >
> > ioctl(4, 0xc0086420, 0xbfd0d758)        = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
> >
> > Well, I believe that, though I don't understand why I'm getting this
> > error.
> >
> > I've read some comments on dri-devl from last summer regarding DRM and
> > root/non-root privs. Could I be getting caught up
> > by those requirements? Can anyone suggest how I debug/solve this
> problem?
> >
> Yes, IIRC since the DRM root/non root stuff, you have to either run as
> root, or make all the ioctls non-root.
>
> Stephane

Dan Sperka
Center for Neuroscience