On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:

John Clemens schrieb:

There was a post on this list at the end of december(?) indicating that
ATI was not interested in helping open source with 3D specs anymore..
I'm guessing they didn't do much with the r300 line either.. but does
anyone know anything or have any official word on whether the r500
series of radeon cards will ever be supported by anything other than
fglrx for 3D? Any official word from ATI? Is anything known about these
cards?

AFAIK no one has even started reverse-engineering their driver. There is
official word from ATI that they will not give any information to
developers of free drivers. German computer magazine c't asked them.
Theres one or two sentences about it in an article about the linux
driver situation (page 168, magazine from 27.12.2005).
The r300 driver was written without any information from ATI. It works
with cards up to the X850.

Philipp

Sorry I am a bit late to this thread, I am trying to catchup with dri-devel postings.

If X1600 is a completely new chip then it is likely we are not going to get any documentation within 1.5-2 years from the release. This has been so with all of ATI's new chips: mach64, rage128, radeon, Rage Theatre, Rage Theatre 200.

The only exceptions were, I believe, 2d support for rage128 and radeon cards - and that turned out to be very similar to mach64.

One can hope that despite the newness of X1600 chip some of the basics (like video mode setup) would remain similar enough to have partially functioning 2d driver.

Does anyone have access to this card (with knoppix or something) ? How does cat /proc/pci look like ?

                    best

                      Vladimir Dergachev