On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:02:11 -0400
"Alex Deucher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 5/21/06, Roland Scheidegger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Pawel Salek wrote:
> > > ColorTiling works like a charm: it gives factor two speedup in
> > > glxgears, one can play RTCW at 1280x1024 *and* the random lines
> > > are gone! Is there any reason this option is not the default?
> > I am not sure, maybe it could be made the default by now?
> > Historically, it is off by default because it didn't work on
> > r3xx/r4xx cards (it was always on by default on older chips since
> > it exists), because it wasn't fully implemented. I think it works
> > without problems nowadays on all chips (dunno about the rs400 igps,
> > though). I believe though it caused to lock up the r300/r350 chips
> > even faster (with opengl apps) but that is probably more of a side
> > effect. Someone more familiar with the r300 cards needs to answer
> > that if it should be the default but it sure would be nice - the
> > radeon chips are increasingly relying on this to get good
> > performance (first generation (r1xx) radeon chips roughly gain 20%
> > or so, 2nd generation (r2xx) more like 50%, and 3rd (r3xx/r4xx)
> > 100%).
>
> r3/4xx needs a drm update to make colortiling work with pageflipping
> for non-zero offsets sice they use a slightly different register
> setup.  That's why it's been disabled.  It's trivial, but no one has
> gotten around to doing it.

That doesn't prevent you from enabling tiling and forcing pageflipping
disabled. If someone really cares for pageflipping he/she can fix it.
Beyond that its currently broken and it doesn't really improve
performance noticeably. Oh and it doesn't really play well with fbos if
we ever happen to add support for em.

--
Aapo Tahkola